"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Saturday, February 9, 2013

Fish, Fish, Shark, Fish....

Someone asked for more fish pictures?  Nan found a snorkeling tour sponsored out of Bahia Honda State Park and it was good.   But before we start swimming I think I missed posting the picture of the Hemingway kitty that was watching the tourists walking by on Mallory square. He wasn't one of the fancy trained kitties that Nan watched perform out on the square as part of the sunset celebrations. He appeared to be just making his way through the world as a street feline.



Okay, back to the boat and this day's adventure.  Getting into the water without hurting ourselves.


The colors really are this vivid on the reef.



Remember this is not a Disney film.


This is/was the shark.  He was about 7 feet long and slowly making his way...away from us.  The captain had told us that we would probably see some but reminded us that we look like humans and they don't really want to eat us.





So that shark really thinks we look like humans?



This is the large grupper that we were told hangs around the reef. The captain forgot to tell us that he often hangs out under the boat.



Did I mention he was really big.


There were a few scuba folks but I don't think they could see much that we couldn't. The water was not that deep around our part of the reef.


Another picture of Liz. Can't you tell?










Can anybody identify the long skinny fish swimming in the middle of this school?  It isn't a test. I just didn't recognize it.






One of the questions the captain asked before we got in the water was if we knew how to swim.  We answered, "Yes."  What my body reminded me later was that though I knew how to swim it didn't mean that I had been practicing much lately.  
 

Wendy cooked her BBQ ribs for supper, and Sarah and Gloria contributed a salad and some healthy cooked veggies.  Add Liz's left over corn casserole and my bowl of fresh cherries and dinner was a welcome sight.  Now it is time to rest up for tomorrow's adventures.....

5 comments:

  1. Your underwater pictures are amazing; the colors are so vivid and clear. I can't believe Nan had her hat on underwater or was I just imagining that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't see enough of the long skinny fish to tell. Was it some kind of gar? Are there even saltwater gars?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that fish a pencil fish? Anyway, great pix. Glad you all are havin a good time. I love Bahia Honda SP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I ever mentioned that I absolutely love fried grouper? Or poached grouper? Even broiled grouper? I haven't had grouper since I left Florida 30 or more years ago. Great pictures! Bet that's the first snorkeling since our cruise....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful underwater shots!! I wasn't planning a trip to the Keys next year but may have just changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete