"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Monday, July 15, 2013

Time for Friends, Boats, Kayaks and Ponies

After leaving Annapolis the dogs and I traveled down to a small campground outside Suffolk, VA, to catch up on exciting things like laundry, dog walks, reading and naps.   Between laundry and naps I drove over to see the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge.  This is not an attraction that anyone needs to drive out of their way for but since I was already here.....

There were neat boardwalks leading into the woods but there were also neat signs reminding everyone about the miracle of  mosquitoes.


Sections of the swamp had undergone a planned burn.....


And if you drive long enough you arrive at lake Drummond.  The only other access to the lake is by water or hiking in.  There was only one other car in the lot. 




Driving down through the woods and swamp I thought about the underground railroad that ran through these parts and the escaped slaves that survived by disappearing into the swamp.  I am thinking that there were probably a few soldiers that found these swamps a safety zone during the Revolutionary War and Civil War.  Safe being a relative term.


The berries are almost ripe.


After making my way out of the swamp I headed over to my friend Barb's house.  She and I used to work together back in that other life.   She and her husband have lived all over the US, but have managed to stay on the Eastern coast of Virginia for awhile now.  Something about the water.


Barb and her dog Casey. Barb helps out with a rescue group in the area and originally fostered Casey 5 years ago.  After five years Casey's home was no longer an option and she returned to the rescue group. This time she gets to stay with Barb and her husband. Casey doesn't like to look at cameras.  Really, the other picture she turned her head even farther away....


A perfect driveway for a small rig and car.   The top of the driveway is wonderfully level!


On Friday Barb and Len had wanted to take me out on the "boat."  Weather did not cooperate but Barb and I got to drive down and visit her without the sky opening up on us.


For those of us that travel in RVs the inside of a boat looks very similar....




After a wonderful dinner or two, excellent conversations and a few glasses of wine....and Len's trademark breakfast waffle, I headed out to explore some more water and ponies.....



Don't Feed the Ponies.... they may Bite!  Apparently they eat signs, also.


Little girls love their ponies....


It really is my daughter Kate's fault.  She mentioned in an e-mail a couple weeks ago that Chincoteague would be an neat place to visit. Unfortunately it was a far drive from Washington without an over night....but her suggestion got me out on the websites and checking mileage from other stops.  That is my story and I am sticking to it. I mean I was already so close....


I walked back to the light house.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is being rehabbed.  Found out the next day that the red had just been added this week.  I got to visit and not feel guilty about not climbing a hundred steps in the heat to get a view of the channel.


These are part of the pony pens on the island. The volunteer fireman cowboys round up the ponies and hold them in the pens in preparation to the swim. The small babies are taken over in a truck.  I am a week early for the annual swim but that is okay.  Chincoteague's population of about 4,000 changes to about 50,000 during the Annual swim and auction.   


When ponies are not swimming most people come to the islands to visit the beaches.  The beaches were much busier than my pictures show. It was evening and the crowds were thinning out.



Assateague Island is also a National Wildlife Refuge.  The ponies are not actually considered natural and indigenous.



Not going to say much about the campground I stayed in. A large section of seasonal rigs but most of the campgrounds in Chincoteague have a lot of seasonal sites.  The reviews of several of the campgrounds talked about some old rundown rigs.  Thought I would include a couple of pictures...worth a hundred words at least.



There were some nicer units and after seeing the larger campgrounds that reminded me of shadeless parking lots I was happy with the tall pine trees and shade all day.  The section I was in had few other campers and the whole campground was quiet.  Few golf carts, bikes and no loud parties.....  There was a wonderful fresh seafood shop just outside the front of the campground.  Not a restaurant but they sold fresh fish or would steam your shrimp for you.  The truck came by every evening and sprayed for mosquitoes.  It was good.

The first day I took the tour out to the marshes on the boat.


And we got to see some of the ponies in the marsh.  



I also got to see more of the campgrounds where I wasn't staying.


And if you wondered who cleans up the dead fish stinky that show up on shore unexpectedly. Here you have it.  That can't be good for anyone's business or home....


Anyway, after seeing how far the marshes are and getting a weather report for more calm water, I showed up on Monday to go out kayaking with a small tour group.  I used my own equipment but fully appreciated the guide's knowledge of the channel, the tides, the sand bars and the marshes.

The little sand spit to the right of the kayakers is the beginning of Pony Swim Lane.  It is the area where the ponies come ashore.


We headed out early in the morning which helped avoid the afternoon heat but the tide was out and we followed the guide single file through the sand bars and low water. I never would have found my way back through all the twists and turns.  Many of what appeared to be channels were actually dead ends...but then we didn't go down those.


Kayaks can get closer to ponies than boats....






The are two herds in the Virginia end of the island.  The herds have several "bands" within the herds.  The Chincoteague Volunteer Fireman own and manage the ponies.  Though there have been ponies on the island for hundreds of years the pony stock has been protected from inbreeding by the addition has been influenced by the addition of Shetland and Welsh bloodlines. Arabian blood lines have even been added to stock to bring some refinement. The decision of how many foals are to be auctioned off each summer isn't made until the annual swim.  Some years more are auctioned some years less but there is some attempt to maintain a healthy herd that can be sustained by the harsh environment of the island.



The tide was beginning to come in and I am not sure what all these little guys were scurrying around about.


Heading back towards Ohio starting tomorrow by way of the Shenandoah Valley......might still take a few days....


No comments:

Post a Comment