"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Thursday, August 29, 2013

More Michigan

I have gotten so far behind in posting pictures but will try to catch up some today.  I am traveling with a group of 4 women and we have been exploring parts of Michigan.   

Liz and I were able to get our kayaks wet again near Alpena , MI, which is on Thunder Bay.  We stuck to the river and the boat channels with calm water.  You do get to see everyone's back yard and their boats this way.



The boys are sure you will quickly recognize the reason they are smiling and sitting up on the bed.  Even Remi has his limits to babysitting at this age.  Though Audrey has figured out how to hop up the steps into the rig she has not quite managed the hops up to the bed.  That will probably come next week!


There was the usually sitting around in the evening.



Alpena has some  beautiful old houses. I loved the garden around this one.


Remi on duty as puppy monitor.


Carol, Liz and I took the Ship Wreck Tour out into Thunder Bay in a glass bottomed boat. Liz got a few shots of the wrecks.   Some have been down there a long long time and the narrative of their lost was interesting.




The campground was quiet and peaceful.



The neighbors provided  a private concert.




When we headed farther north towards Mackinaw City several of us stopped at the same way side park.  We don't caravan down the road together but apparently we are drawn to similar lake front views.   Carol on the other hand is always drawn to the old fashion water pumps. I don't think she can walk past on without testing it.  We all have our weaknesses.....


Prue Michigan......I watched those advertisements.....



We did take in a lumberjack show which had two young lumberjacks competing in those lumberjack activities.  According to the announcer they both had competed at the world championships this year.  Thsi is how they make their summer cash apparently.


Our friend Sarah on the other hand was attracted to the lumberjack announcer.  Remember I travel with wild women.


Stuart and I took a walking tour of Mackinaw City. We watched the para-sailing over the harbor.   I was not tempted to purchase a ticket for this event.


When waking Stuart around touristy towns, he is very good at keeping me out of most of the shops and has saved me money I am sure. Unfortunately he does not keep me out of Arts and Crafts Fairs.


I was able to walk up the steps of the nearby lighthouse.


And we drove around and saw different views of the bridge to the UP.


I also drove through the Headlands area west of the city and known as a National Dark Sky Park.  I did not work up the interest to drive back over t night and test the darkness of the sky for viewing but took the signs word for it.   It was a beautiful shoreline.   



We have moved farther north to visit Sault Saint Marie, the Locks and areas of the UP to the west. More pictures as the get edited and loaded.....

No comments:

Post a Comment