"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Another Fort Tour, Texas This Time.

Fort Davis this time.   It was on the was south from I-10 on my way to check out Marfa, Alpine and Marathon.    Marfa and Alpine were both more town than I was expecting and Marathon not so much.  For years I have occasionally kept up with a blog that includes beautiful pictures of the area around Big Bend National Park and these towns......I couldn't see all of the area but I sure got to see a bunch of it.

But even if the drive hadn't been interesting the fort was worth it and I wasn't planning that part. Fort Davis is beautiful sitting there next to the Davis Mountains.

Stuart asked to be navigator on the drive but wasn't all that interested in the scenery in the beginning.





??????



When we arrived at the fort, he got much more interested. He even started reading the small print.  But what he was really interested in was.....

"If I sit real still do you think that folks will notice that I am not as fuzzy and dusty as I was out climbing those rocks outside of Deming?" asked Stuart.


Fort Davis was built in the 1850's. The federal soldiers left during part of the Civil War but soon returned.   The fort was an important part of maintaining order in this section of Texas and protect the travel route between San Antonio and El Paso.  The first black officer to graduate from West Point was stationed here.   The building on the right is the visitors center and a restoration of one of the cavalry barracks.  Looked pretty familiar after seeing Fort Huachuca only these were not two story.


These are the row of the officers quarters.....with the mountains for their backdrop.


Working at the riding stable growing up we had two horse that wore old military saddles.   Not a lot of cush there for the rider but they were easy on the horses backbone....


A picture of the stables #10 for the cavalry.  The commandant had his own barn and corral.... 


The cavalry barracks.  


The four two story officer's quarters were added because there had been overcrowding in the original officers quarters.   


Looking up past some of the ruins of the fort.....not Indians but a rather exquisite home site.


"What do you mean, dogs didn't get to ride in the wagon? I know I saw one on an old Little House on the Praire show."  questioned Stuart. "You know what all this dust and dirt does to my coat. How did those pups manage?"






This is a view of the back of the officers quarters with one of the kitchen/servant quarters that has been rebuilt.  Each house had its own originally.


Two of the officer's houses are furnished and open to walk through.  Notice that the officer's family possessions are a bit grander than what those guys have over in the barracks.  


Stuart is wondering why all museums don't allow him.


"Nice view! Where is the ice tea?  Anybody have dog treats?"


On the drive in I noticed the sign along the road warning people to stay away from the old cottonwood trees. The signage said that the trees were very old and could fall completely or in part at any time.  Fine for the people with reading skills but the two horses and two goats that were grazing in the area are without protection.


Driving through Alpine on Monday, I noticed that I had missed the poetry gathering that weekend.  I knew that Nevada had a Cowboy Poetry Gathering but now I know that Texas cowboys don't have to head north to be included.



Love old courthouses in the town centers.



Walking back to the rig after lunch I passed the memorial to past cowboy poets. Their names are listen on the plaque on the left.


On to Marathon and Big Bend National Park next time.

1 comment:

  1. did you happen to go into the hotel in Marfa? it's quite the beauty! my cousin was the architect for the restoration

    ReplyDelete