"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Sunday, July 19, 2015

Of Beaches and Killer Logs

In all fairness if you are tired of looking at beaches you might want to stop now.   ( The Trees come next.) 

I can tell I am in states that are bike friendly.   I have passed many, many healthy looking cyclists peddling their bikes along the coastal highway heavily laden with camping gear. In small groups, pairs and even solo women.  It definitely put traveling down the highway with a "mini house" RV in perspective.  Seems to be even more here in Washington than Oregon. They come in all ages and sizes.  Oregon even allows cyclists to peddle down the interstates.   There are also a lot more tent campers up in this neck of the woods.  Or it could be the small National Forests and National Parks campgrounds with no hook ups available attract the back to nature sort.   It gives me a fresh appreciation for tent campers. These are serious nature folks. I still think it is more work than I want to do every day or two as I traveled down the road.  The dogs and I discussed it and all agreed that we were not willing to give up our comfortable beds and dry sleeping arrangements.

A picture of the new $10 hat from Castle Rock Lavender Farm, as was requested by my friend Sharon.  Hat being modeled by one of Audrey's unchewed "stuffies"



More pictures from the non reservable, South Beach NP campground.  When you want the best of views.



Surf fishing


Some of the "Killer" logs asleep on the beach waiting for the next big storm and the high tides to wake them up.


Some people and their dogs walk this way.


On the east coast children build sand castles. Here on the west coast people of all ages build log castles.  Here they stand until that next big storm and the high tides blow in and wake the "killer" logs and water and logs crush the castles.



Stuart was impressed that this one had a dog house.


And custom wind chimes.



Stuart "sings" the song of the sad beach dog....maybe it is the verse about no one letting the dog off the leash.


Some castles are more modest.






"I stand tall for now but soon,  I too will be where the rest of you have fallen before me to be scrubbed by sand, wind and sea.





"Ah, Audrey, I know you like sticks but maybe we can go further on down the beach and find one a little easier for you to get your mouth around,"  suggests wise Remi.  

"Hey, I'm not actually saying that you couldn't do it!"


At first I thought they were getting ready to take pictures of the sunset but then we started talking and I found out they were "birders".   They are from eastern Washington State and once drove to Red River Gorge in Kentucky so they could see a particular warbler who has the gorge as its farthest northern nesting area.   And they found the bird.  I guess we all need our own reasons to drive and see things we haven't seen....when a picture in a book is not enough.


But most of us did have cameras and were waiting, watching and enjoying the sunset.





And the next morning some dogs I know wanted another walk.



"Have you seen enough of the beach yet?"  asks the GHL.
"No!" exclaims Stuart enthusiastically. "Keep walking, lady."




Stuart and I drive down to visit Ruby Beach.





Nice lady of a certain age just sitting and enjoying the views.  On the way back past her I asked if she liked to count how many of us stop and take her picture.   (Actually, she offered to get up and move and I told her I thought I liked the picture better with her in it.)


"I might be sleeping now but some dark night you will need to wake up and see if I migrated to find a new home under your bed."   (I didn't tell the sleeping log that my current bed was in an RV and he might not fit. That would take all the drama out of the deep dark menacing whispers.)




Watch out!  It only takes a moment to lose a child or a treasured family pet to jaws like these.


"I don't see any children. Are you sure the monster was right here?"  questions the ever observant Stuart.


"Really, You would never have asked Herschel to do something this silly," comments Stuart who claims to have no memory of the strange things Herschel used to agree to do.





Enough for one post.......can you hear the crash of the waves and smell the sea?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Tina, for taking us along. I believe I've walked some of those beaches, and they are indeed beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad would have filled your whole rig with that driftwood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the picture of the hat..Love it! Not tired of the beach pictures yet, keep them coming. The beaches up there are so much more interesting than ours here in SoCal. I once picked up a shirt full of oysters after a storm in Wa. and had myself a feast. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful beach pictures and you always have good tree pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. When I was in Oregon and visited beaches there, my innards and what was going on in there and what I was going to do about it were so much more important to me than any of my surroundings that I barely remember the vistas. (Pregnant with first child.) I do remember thinking the beaches strewn with rocks and dead (wood) bodies and cliffs and surf-washed agates were nothing like eastern coast sandy, duney areas, and the salty smell of a yankee beach was never there on the west coast. I did bring home a giant 6 inch thick slab cut through a redwood burl which was to be veneered and made into furniture, I assume, which is in the shape of the United States right down to the Florida peninsula. It now lives in our party barn after some sanding and finishing and discovering it was not just a slab through a tree trunk but a gnarly burl. I love Stuart's pose inside the monster's mouth! I thoroughly love your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete