"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Sunday, August 2, 2015

Devils Tower and the Wonder of SD

This is what greets you when you survive driving between two wicked thunderstorms successfully to make it to Devil's Tower National Park without hail damage and wake up early the next morning in the campground to potty dogs at sunrise.  This is what I call a "Liz Picture" because she is usually up so early with camera ready.  Me? I give all the credit to the dogs.  I promptly went back to bed.


The drive across Montana got hairy in the last hour or so as the NOA radio woke up and started spouting warnings on two large storm cells.  The one was south of me and I had been watching on my right as I headed east.  The warnings told me that hail might be ping pong size and not to be outside because they might hurt me, not to mention what they would try to do to livestock and little dogs.  I kept mentally thinking about the names of towns I had noticed on the map as I picked my routes in the morning.   ......if I was lucky and the storms continued to track northeast.....   Yes!  I pretty much drove between the two storm fronts and let the one south of me slip right behind me as I turned south.  I later saw the picture of the hail one of the storms left on the street of Custer, SD.  They had to use the plow to clear a small section.   So glad that got by before I landed two days later.


Watched the turkey family trot across the road and seek shade under the bush.  I think momma turkey may have been less that happy with my interrupting her morning stroll.


One of the rangers at the campground was walking around checking out campsites (of which there were many still available at 4pm) and explained that a large group of Native American families about 90 campers had just left that morning.  He also casually recommended that I not park my rig in a campsite directly under some of the old cottonwood trees.  Old cottonwood trees were all that grew in the campground. Something about the potential of limbs falling off in strong storms.  Luckily some of the trees had already lost a few limbs or had some cut back.  Okay, I can do that.  

Native American prayer bundles along the trail at Devil's Tower.  



I can understand why people might want to live here.



A couple of climbers just heading up.   I overheard two climbers talking about how windy it was at the top.  They wanted to set up their camera to take a picture of the two of them but was afraid the wind would carry it away.



Are they standing there in the presence of beauty trying to post pictures or just checking e-mail?  But hey, I am standing here taking pictures of people looking at cell phones instead of natural beauty so I need to shut up now.....




I think am developing a strong like for these.....  A question to those who might know. What is the driving difference with the trikes on whether the two wheels are in the front or the back?



From Devil's Tower I headed over to Custer after leaving plenty of time for the hail to melt.  I came to visit a friend but also to have another chance to drive through these beautiful lands.   The Black Hills and Custer State Park are worth any ones time.



The timing of my visit puts me just days ahead of the official "Sturgis Bike Week."   And the hundreds I saw and met on the road were only the early birds.  I saw many of the rest of the pilgrims as they rode and hauled their bikes west on I-90 as I headed out of Custer on Friday.   Hundreds of trailers with the words Harley on the side.....


Just not as striking as Anita's red one. What do you think?




The smallest of the tunnels on the Needle Highway.


These guys fit much better than the cars.   I saw I truck with large duallies pull up as I was driving away and wondered about its width?????






Had lunch with Beth in Keystone. We got above the purr of the bikes by taking the ski lift to the restaurant grill at the top of the mountain.  This is a picture of folks waiting to take pictures of their loved ones as they slide down the mountain.  Luckily, or unluckily, there was no one to take our pictures as we flew down.  We will vouch for each other.


We did not try the ropes course.


I could have ridden down more than once.  I did keep in mind how hard concrete is and how my body does not bounce.



I took the drive through Custer State Park to make my way back to Custer and the rig.



And then there were the bison.




This guys was just having fun standing in front of the other lane pretending not to notice the cars backing.....I think some of the fiesty ones might swap stories at night of how many cars they each held up.


WTH?.....think I should have been watching to my right instead of straight ahead...... 


Do bison scamper?



Bison do stroll.....




right on by.


And some times they stop and have lengthy discussions.  "What year do you think this one is?"


"I don't know. Let me look a little closer."


"Notice the fine details."  "Is that human still breathing?"


And several minutes later, "Well, okay, I guess this one isn't for us."


"We can go on now...."


And farther down the road, "Got anything for us?"





"Over here, they definitely have grub for us here!"


Back in town the bikers that aren't out driving around all the roads are parked in double lines in the "bike" parking lanes roped off in the middle of the street using the turn lanes.   As I drove through Hill City on the way out of the area on Friday I noticed that that city just closes the entire three blocks or so in the middle of town to all but bikers.  I see merchants counting their season's profits.



My next stop is in Avon, SD.


We get to park in a friend's driveway in town but also got a tour of the Cihak ranch.


Her son's horses.


But modern cowboys ride more than horses.  Pat's son riding off to convince a few wayward steers that they wanted to go back into the field they tried to escape from as he was moving some large equipment around.



"Got food for us?"


These guys have already been fed.


The original barn on the Cihak ranch has been well appreciated over the years. It is over hundred years old and still works very hard.  The farm has been in the Cihak family for generations. Thanks go to Pat's husband, Dennis, for the truck tour of the pastures, hay fields, feed lots and corn fields.  Farming is hard work and the animals don't understand vacations and time off.



Pat's good friend Missy on the left and Pat on the right.


Back on the road tomorrow.  Home in a week or so. 

1 comment:

  1. About those 3-wheel motorcycles ... I think it's a matter of personal preference, Tina. Sharon will be able to tell you more, but they're both really stable. And lots of fun, from what I hear. ;)

    ReplyDelete