"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Thursday, February 18, 2016

Brief Stop in Georgia

The dogs and I have started our trip north.  We headed up I-95 and made it as far as Darien, GA, so that we could have a short visit with Lori and her husband Doc.   Lori's get-together in PA, back in 2009 was the first WomenRV GTG that I attended. From there it was a GTG in Nashville the rest is history.

I stayed at the RV park where Lori and Doc have their "southern" 5th wheel permanently parked. After full-timing, work camping and traveling for over 7 years they now split there time between north and south.  Their other 5th wheel is stored up in PA for their summer trips to visit family.  And that is one way full-time RVers slow down.

While visiting I headed off one afternoon to visit the King George Fort.  It was only after that I realized that I didn't take any pictures of the old fort itself.  It just didn't seem as interesting as the salt marshes and what the soldiers might have seen looking out over the lands.

This is a picture of the small Highlander's cottage.    It made my RV look spacious.


The fencing won't be keeping the chickens safe tonight.




May need to rethink the moat. 




Thinking these ropes were added for the safety of the tourist and not the soldiers.



memories of summer camp.....




Enjoying the purchase of gas outside of Florida and I'm not even in SC, yet!


One day Lori and I rode over to take a tour of the Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation and learn all everyone needs to know about rice growing in South Carolina Low Country.

Thought of Sarah when we got a look at a small collection of the Family's silver. (Five Generations worth)


Lori








And, again, apparently I was more interested in the Live Oaks and the Spanish Moss than the old house. It was an old wood frame home with all the family furnishings that were in use when that last sister passed away in 1973 well into her 80's.   As the ranger who took us through the house reminded us, the "big" houses of the planter families were on the stately streets of Savannah.   And well, I really like trees.....

I am currently parked on an old South Carolina State Park near Columbia.  It is very convenient to I-77, but I am thinking back to conversations Brenda and I had back in Florida as we evaluated whether or not she would want to tow her 5th wheels down the twisty narrow campground roads between trees on both side.   I am thinking that she better not try this one!   The dogs heard me muttering until I found a site that looked level and possible to back into with out trees jumping in front of the rig......

On to Charlotte, NC......and driveway camping tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment