"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Monday, February 4, 2013

On the way to Key West

We left Hillsborough River State Park on Saturday and have made our way as far as the Fort Meyer area.  

Before we left, the dogs and I were able to get one final hike in with Liz and Thistle.  We walked up to view the "rapids."   Not so scary but the Ranger had told us on the tram tour that they really didn't want folks canoeing down the rapids because the rocks get scratched....   Low water can be hard on the rocks here....



Friday before we left I dried out the kayaks and packed them away. For those that asked how much storage the kayaks take up in travleing, here are some pictures.

This is what a poorly folded Sea Eagle looks like sitting in the back of the Honda Fit. The floor of the kayak is what you see folded on top of the kayak body.


This is a picture of the Advance Element folded up in the Sea Eagle "wrap."  I don't attempt to get it back in its original bag either.  I probably could but don't see the sense of the struggle when these methods work. The hat is to give perspective.


Sunday in the Fort Meyer area Gloria, Wendy, Sarah and I climbed in the car and drove over the causeway to Sanibel Island.   We stopped at the Wildlife Refuge and took the tram tour. We got a history of the Island and the animals that flourish there.


The small crabs on the mangrove trees. The ibis like to find them to eat.





 The water and the mangroves....  Yes, the thought of kayak fun did come up with this view.
 

We drove down the entire island and crossed over to the land of wonder, Captiva Island.  We wondered just how much those houses went for.  The air was definitely rarer on Captiva and those houses  sparked the imagination and stories of the rich and famous.....

We stopped to take a stroll on the beach, just to say we did. We also got to see what people mean when they refer to shelling on the beaches of Sanibel Island.






Cankers on dead mangroves.


Monday after resting up, we headed out to see the Edison/Ford Museum and Gardens.  I liked the trees.



Mr. Edison's Winter Retreat and Guest House.


Sarah and Wendy contemplating the ocean. I wondered just how big the boats were, or how many there were, that would have used that long dock, coming and going to visit folks there.


Everyone's get away should have a deep veranda like this to stay cool on a warm afternoon while sipping the tea.



The Fords bought the property next to the Edisons. Thomas was a mentor to young Mr. Ford. Not bad for a small winter get away from the pressures of business and social responsibilities back in the cities up north.


I loved the rich brown colors of the wood work and furniture.


Edison's lab.


Tomorrow, Tuesday, we wrap up our hoses and unplug our cords and head farther down the highway to a county run RV park a little west of Miami.   Wendy will have to let folks know if she spies any 'gators along the way.   Wednesday should see us landing in Marathon about half way down the Keys. I am looking forward to sitting in one place and staring at the water.  I believe there are enough adult beverages on board the four rigs to get us through the first half of the week anyway. It doesn't take much

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Have just put this on my bucket list

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great pics but I thought the trees were really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the post. My grandparents lived in Ft. Myers (not Ft. Meyer) ;-) for over 30 years, and I have such great memories of trips over to Sanibel and Captiva Islands. They also took me to the Edison home when I was a teenager. Really interesting. I love the Banyan trees and spoonbills and everything about this area except the traffic. It's grown so much since we were going down to visit in the '70s and '80s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this blog, Tina! Perhaps I need to get to to work on my old blog and make it relevant and useful now. Thanks for sharing this part of your trip----sure wish I, too, could gone with you all to see Sanibel and more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if I am spelling this correctly but maybe a barracuda. I saw something similar when I went on that cruise years ago off Mexico and that's what they said it was. But I was not swimming with the fishes when I saw it. I was in the bottom of a boat with windows underwater that went around the reef in Roatan Bay, Honduras. You are much braver them I, because I DO NOT EVER swim with fishes, I have a fear of what can be in water. Not water or swimming in a pool or anything. Just oceans and lakes where other things - NOT HUMAN - swim. lol... Looks beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should add I will get in the ocean and wade around as long as I can see my feet and see nothing around me, I know nuts. I have read too many horror stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the banyan trees. Also, did you eat dessert at the Bubble Room on Captiva. What an experience!! Love Sanibel and Captiva. Also, the Groves is a good cg in Ft Myers and it is buy one week get a week free. Best kind to have, a coupon.

    ReplyDelete