"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Monday, September 23, 2013

The Jouney to the Ranch

I left early early Saturday morning to make the hour drive to the Dayton airport.  I found the motel that offers the best rate for parking the car and got a quick shuttle over to the airport and arrived by 5:15am.   I am not too old to go through security but it sure is an obstacle course.  Maneuvering through the lines with only two hands to haul the suitcases and the electronics, shoes, etc.  It was not graceful but I managed.  I kept thinking of how often my son has to travel through airports. 

Airports are full of people to watch. I don't travel often by air. Maybe that is why I still find it so fascinating.  

After the size of the Minneapolis Airport with its tram and concourses that went on forever  including their mini mall, Glacier Park International was much more fun sized.




I picked up my rental car and headed out to drive around Kalispel.  Did I mention I was exhausted.  I got a recommendation for a great Mom and Pop local dinner. Had a lovely dinner and was in bed by 7 pm MT time.   Twelve hours later (or so) I managed to make my way back to the functioning world.  After breakfast I was on my way towards Glacier National Park.  The traffic was light and I got to use my Access Pass.  I always feel so wonderful to enjoy one of the perks of being old!


I had met a local woman from the area at the Minneapolis Airport.  I explained how I had visited East Glacier last summer before the Going to the Sun Road, through the park was opened due to snow conditions in the pass.  She mentioned that the road was to be closed soon because of reconstruction work that was being completed.   Sure enough there was the flashing sign. "Road Closed" "to Logan Pass"....."Monday 9/23, 7AM.   Guess I picked the right day for this adventure.


The road follows along the lake for quite a ways.


...and then it follows the river.   The scenery brought back memories of last summer's adventures....


And these gentleman had my admiration. They still had most of the up hill climbs to go.







I stopped to take pictures with a voice inside my head saying, "What would Liz do?"

I definitely agreed with these folks that a convertible was the best way to feel and see the mountains and woods around you. 








Yes, that is my road coming up...way down in the valley....







Made it to Logan's Pass by 12:30.  They were already closing down the visitor's center and ranger station.  The room was bare and workers were busy carting off boxes.  The breeze was a bit stiff and the air chilly.


After awhile I turned around and headed back over the pass and on to Whitefish and the check in at the ranch.   Liz or Beth will correct me if I am wrong but are these "soldiers" what remain of the summer Fire weed?   The blooms are long gone as is summer but the dried stems still give off the glow of old embers....


I found this map of the two original proposed routes for the Going to the Sun Road interesting. The dark line is the road that was chosen. The dotted line with multiple switch backs was the easier to build and less expensive but it was decided that the the long road running along the face of the cliff would be less disruptive to the land and make a more dramatic a drive.



These mountains echo the reminders of forest fires then and the one this summer.  Life in the wilderness goes on.  It sure does look different though.




I had time to stop by the lodge on the drive back west.  It was a busy place.


There was attractive old stone work inside and usual collection of dead animals on the walls.


The back of the building that faces the lake had charm, also.


And the lake again brought back memories of last summer's travels....



Must keep moving on. It is the first day of fall and I have places to go.


This building was called the Creek-side Reading Room. I want to call it my cabin in the woods.  It was just about the right size for quiet thoughtful days with room for an occasional quest.


I drove through the downtown district of Thunder something just west of the West Glacier gate.  This picture is for anyone who appreciates the murals but  particularly for my friend Nan.  Once you travel with Nan a few weeks you begin to see some of the old buildings in towns differently.....the Masonic lodges....


I drove around the block to get a better look at this "church."   From the other street I had noticed the steeple.   From this view I notice the building is now the local chiropractor's office.


On the way out of Whitefish just a few miles from the ranch I did a u-turn so that I could come back and share this special rig.   And though I didn't drive in to take any pictures I notice a sign for an Assisted Living RV Park back in Kalispel.  So apparently you have more choices than driving over an parking your rig in Livingston, TX with the Escapees Care Group.   The winter are a bit brisker than TX.



This picture is a challenge to see who can tell what these are for without enlarging the photo.


The view of the lake as you drive back the lane to the ranch.


Keep driving though the woods. (Or stop the car again and take another picture....)


Park near the office and across from the corrals.


While you wait to check in meet a few people and glance up towards the lodge.  My room is on the bottom floor facing the barn and has it own outside door to the left of the white chair on the left.


This is not a bad place to bunk down. 


The woman from Florida who is sharing the two rooms and private bath with me chose the bottom twin bunk.  There are also two full size futons in this room.  Neither of us want to think about sharing with another 3 or 4 people. 


The WomenRV group has taught me well.  "Must get group picture...."   Here are all twelve of us taked on Sunday night after our horse orientation.  We have the entire lodge to ourselves.    Today, Monday,  we rode twice...but those pictures are still in the camera.  (Sorry for the spots. I am hoping that I got that cleared up but won't find out until tomorrow of whenever I actually look at today's photos.)

(




The answer to the question?  It is a ski rack outside of the McDonalds in Whitefish.  The sign says you can't use your own lock but for 50 cents you can lock your equipment safely before you head in to eat.  One side even had larger locks for your Snow Board.

2 comments: