"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Great Adventures Continue

I slowly turned away from the Olympic National Park and focused on making my way back east. The first stop along the way was in Port Townsend. Upon the recommendation of several friends I made reservations for an all day whale watching tour that included a tour of some of the San Juan Islands and a stop in Friday Harbor for two hours.  

I also opted to stay at the RV park at the Marina in Port Townsend.  The price between the marina and the state park was about the same and I liked the change of scenery.  I also liked the laundry and restaurant.


Wooden sea kayaks are made in a building right next to the RY park. They look gorgeous but I don't think I would want the upkeep of the wood.  And I bet they aren't as light as a Hornbeck!


Nothing between the rigs and the water but sea breezes.


And the next day all I had to do was walk over to the dock.


In the mean time the dogs and I just walked around in general.


Think it's small enough to pull with a Honda Fit?  It was a classic and it was tiny.


Our boat for the tour.


The morning was bright and mostly clear.



Look one direction and you could see the mountains of Olympic National Park peaking around clouds.


Off in another direction was Victoria, B.C. sitting out under a cloud bank.   No time for a Canadian visit this trip.



A small family compound on the western shore of San Juan Island.


And there were several pods of Orcas to follow around here and there.....





And some folks just hung out on their yachts.



Must remember where the boat is parked so we can find it again.





Taxi/Tour services do need both bike and kayak carriers for either their own equipment or for the equipment those that walk on the Ferries carry with them.




Leaving the harbor and heading back we passed this gentleman and his trusty Golden Retriever settling down for a sleep behind him.


I walked past one of the Real Estate offices while I explored Friday Harbor.  If you can afford the price of land and real estate  here on the island the price of the commute is nothing.






It was very peaceful up on the bow of the boat until it wasn't.  The water got a bit rough about the last 45 minutes out and the young ladies enjoying the quiet all got a bit damp all at once.




This picture is especially for Nan because I know how much she "loves" ferry rides.  I took the short ride from Port Townsend over to Whidbey Island.  I got to see most of Whidbey Island and came out north of Seattle and close to where I wanted to pick up the North Cascade Highway.   I may need to get back to Ohio in a timely manner but I didn't want to miss everything.


The new GPS knew exactly were I was even if it was in the middle of the water.


Another first for me, taking a Ferry in the rig while towing a car and knowing that neither my rig nor my car has a bunch of clearance on the bottom to work with.....


The drive up Whidbey Island was very nice and there were several beautiful sections.  Stuart refused to come up front and man the camera.  Once we picked up the highway there was plenty of eye candy to look at and a couple of pull offs.




More mountains for the Louisiana Woman.....





But eventually as you head farther and farther east the lands begin to change.  Northern Idaho is still beautiful and for an interstate, I-90 is pretty spectacular across Idaho and on into the mountains of western Montana. Eventually the mountains begin to smooth themselves out into the look of the western B movie.


And for $5 you can stay in a National Park campground right off the rest area on I-90.  All the dogs agreed that it was a better choice than the Walmart located 40 minutes farther down the highway I had initially selected as a destination for the day.   It was pretty and I was tired of driving.



Even stopping for gas in Montana provides nice vistas.








Now the next night I did made the pups stop at a Walmart. It was time to refill a prescription and pick up some fresh salad makings.   I drove too many miles a day but it will all work out.  Took an extra night at the National Park Campground at Devils Tower in WY to rest up.   Pictures to follow sometime.  

Currently sitting in Custer, SD and listening to the purr of motor cycles and thinking of Nan and Sharon.  Sturgis Week starts this weekend and many many of the faithful have begin to gather.  Nan, I think you need a Trike like Sharon's.....I can so see you zooming around these roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment