"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Thursday, February 14, 2019

Sedona

I made it up to Sedona knowing that the temperatures might be a little bit cooler.  Considering the up and down that the thermometers have been for the past two months over all the decision has been a success. As the day goes on you just get to remove another layer as long as there is some sun peaking out.   Today, Thursday, was all rain so the layers stayed on but I ran a schedule of inside jaunts that included museums, a couple of interesting stores,  laundry and groceries.  Having good electric at the campground is just what this weather needs, that and a warm lap robe, a furry dog and a book.

First adventures this week were a general walk around Sedona, a quick tour of the area, a Jeep Trip and a horse back ride in the Dead Horse Ranch State Park.

Sedona has its share of public sculptures.  These were two of three located outside the local newspaper office:   Lady Liberty and the news boy sharing the news.  The two seem pretty important to representing the foundations of the free press.


I didn't notice the donation sign until after I saw the picture on the computer but the resting dog waiting patiently in the middle of a busy town, for what ever comes next did catch my eye.


I will admit that driving up here on Monday I did some second guessing about why I headed into possibly cooler temperatures and why I was adding these extra days to my schedule.  Then as I got close to the outskirts of Sedona I began to see the changes in the scenery rising up around me.  And I just smiled. 





There were patches of snow left behind on some of the slopes that didn't get the full benefit of the afternoon sun.


And there were hiking paths everywhere.







This one is for my son-in-law Lucas.











The Pink Jeep parking lot for one of the "get out and walk" opportunities.




And some came up the trail by hiking.






Then there was the horseback riding the next day. It was a little less sunshine but the day also found enough warmth to require some removal of layers as the ride and day progressed.   The trail ride takes place within the Dead Horse Ranch State Park.   These are the riders that were in the group before mine as they passed by the lagoon.


Lark was my "wait in the car" dog but she also got to take a couple of investigative walks before my reservation.   When we headed down to look at the river Lark and I both noticed the effects of the rains and recent high water by the debris left behind.   


More hiking options down by the river.


Sculpture out in from of the riding office.


Looking at the covered wagon made me appreciate the roominess of my RV.  This makes Road Treks look big.





The white spot in the middle of the hill above the town is a large J for the notorious mining town of Jerome but that visit comes later.


This is Christian was my guide.  His mother runs the riding operation in the park.  They trailer the horses in each morning from the family ranch about 5 minutes away and then haul them back to the ranch at the end of the day.  She said that they have about 38 "trail horses" and all told about 60 head.  Christian's grandfather also runs cattle on the ranch and Christian has been working with horses all his life. His great grandfather was original owner of the land that became Dead Horse Ranch State Park.  The story is that his great grandfather's horse Tod died right before a family from Minnesota came to look at ranches in the area to possibly purchase.   The dead horse was lying just outside the gates of the ranch.  After the family had looked at several pieces of property the father asked his children which one they liked the best. The children said they liked the one with the dead horse.  Years alter when the family sold the land to the state for the park, they sold it with the stipulation that the state had to use the name Dead Horse Ranch.



Pictures from additional excursions to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful country, be sure to visit all the Indian ruins around there. And of course Jerome.

    ReplyDelete