"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Friday, February 28, 2014

Desert, Mountains and Sky...Big Bend

Since  I have spend several weeks parked in and traveling through deserts and I wasn't planning on spending much time in the park I spent my day enjoying the Chisos Mountains and the Chisos Basin.  I can understand that this is one National Park that might need a return trip to explore all the areas more thoroughly ut that is for another winter.  Ohio is waiting for me....I am just hoping that the last snow dump will have melted down by the time I get there.

The puppers and I stayed in a quiet (except for those evening train whistles) RV park.  It was basically a full hook up park with cable and pull through sites on a large gravel parking lot . They did have a nice grassy courtyard area.   The dogs were beginning to forget what green grass looked and felt like.


The driving in Texas on a cloudy over cast day.....



Country were windmills are still fully functioning necessities for the range.


I warned you that this trip was about rocks..... Much of the mountains and rocks in the area of Big Bend are influenced from the ancient volcanic activity.


Remi went for a ride along to explore the small town of Marathon.  A courtyard that is part of the historic Gage Hotel definitely looks like Texas....




The lobby.....


The Hotel desk resembles my idea of a period movie set.   The room keys and all......


It is safe to get back into the car.....the watch dog is still on duty.....



Okay, the Gage Hotel was famous for being built by a wealthy cattleman Mr. Gage, etc., but I like the Organic Eves Garden, Bed and Breakfast for its unique character.



I appears to be still growing and adding. I liked the lot adjacent to the building which contained orderly piles of trees trucks and old timbers that I suspect will be creatively incorporated in future construction.

 





Morning brought fog and haze.  There are smoky mountains in the west too, apparently....






Spring is coming to Texas....






 The Chisos Basin.  The road in was not recommend for any vehicles longer than 25 feet.  The basin is totally surrounded by a fortress of mountain and rocks.



This rig looked pretty interesting...and also home made.


Taking a hike out to look through the famous "window" between the mountains with a view of the desert mesa lands in the western part of the park.  Terlingua will have to wait for another day's/year's journey.









Moving on.....there are more Texas highways to travel down in order to make my way to San Antonio.  Texas is not a state that can be crossed  quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Tina, when do you plan on landing in San Antonio? I plan (jello type) to head West Sunday...could do Monday, but no later.

    Loved Big Bend in December! Glad to see you and the puppers had a good stop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you didn't have more time in Big Bend.....so much to see.

    ReplyDelete