"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Denver and Beyond

Mitch and I included Denver in our traveling west plans so that we could visit friends and family.   Unfortunately our schedule conflicted with Mitch being able to visit the rodeo down the road from the fairgrounds where we were parked.  If she is lucky there will additional possibilities for cowboy sightings as the summer progresses.

When I drove into the one of the smaller towns south of Denver Saturday to meet up with my cousin Julie and her son Channing, this is what I had to look at from the parking lot while I waited.  Beginning to understand what all the construction around this area is all about.   Minus the terrific thunderstorms, hail and high winds that kept rolling over Denver and the eastern plains, this area is beautiful.






Channing and his Mom, Julie. This is Julie's, "I am thinking serious thoughts" face.  It had been over ten years since I had been out to Denver to visit.



Here neither of us are trying to be too serious.



Back at the fairground I spotted one of the deluxe horse trailers that several friends were discussing on line last week.   This doesn't even include the cost of the quality cutting horses that were being transported inside.



Sunday, I drove back into Denver proper to Porche's house for lunch. Even the furry kids were invited as the small yard was completely fenced. We ate out in the garden.  




Porche owns Church of Cupcakes in Denver and runs a food truck.  She had spent Saturday catering a birthday party.  We grazed through some of the left overs her fellow food truck vendors had shared with her after the party plus her own cupcakes!   Everything was delicious and good for you to!   Her cupcakes are all made from local and organic ingredients.


"Yes, we can come visit here anytime." reflected Audrey.  Here she is resting after she had spend the first part of the visit checking every corner of Porche's house for what she considered "misplaced" kitty toys.  She didn't actually retrieve them for us but she did allow us to remove them from her mouth.



Stuart on the other hand actually found one of the kitties that was hiding under the couch.  Kitty made it safely to the bedroom for the remainder of the visit.



Back at the fairground another curtain of clouds rolls through in the evening.



On Monday, we drove north to Cheyenne, WY, to meet up with another Woman RV'er, Chris and her husband Larry.  Chris got to meet Mitch's little white beast, Abby.



And as usual, when any of us get together there are opportunities to swap computer finds and information.



We stayed at Terry Bison Ranch which had many attractions for tour buses, families and traveling gypsies.  Some real and some imaginary.



Audrey got to meet some Alpacas.   If she ever goes visit her friend English Cocker friend Donna in Michigan she will recognize the herd.



No comment.....



Chris, Mitch and I made a few stops in the store on our way over to the restaurant.



Yes, it really was that much fun...







Didn't want to hurt his feelings but the Jackalope was a lot prettier.



And the clerks studiously tried to ignore the "women of a certain age" playing on the toys. 



We went to dinner early and missed the crowd as you can see. One tour bus and just left and another arrived right before we finished up.  BBQ Bison short ribs were popular as one might have guessed.  



Our server was sweet and understanding of her customers and maybe of where her tips come from.







Over all it was a good afternoon.....



Golden Retrievers walking in the campground.



The rnack offers short train rides around the main area of the ranch. They keep a small herd of Bison close in for the tourists.  Waht you can't see is the guy on the ATV herding the Bison towards the train to be sure everyone gets an up close and personal view.





"Yes, my baby's butt really is that cute."







Some of us are shaggier than others.



After our visit Chris and Larry moved on north to meet up with Chris' son and grandchildren and a visit to Yellowstone and the Tetons and surrounds.  Mitch and I went to visit an RV friendly WalMart.  

Today we made it to Idaho and a National Forest Campground.  Yes I am enjoying my solar investment. (Thank you Nan for your encouragement. I can always count on someone in my group of friends to help me spend my money. :-) )


Caption contest.....what is Abby really saying?



5 comments:

  1. I'm going to stay with Auntie Cris cause she promised to get me me a boy toy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Auntie BJ, I don't need no stinking boy toy unless he's stuffed and looks like a, well, a stuffed animal...

    Love,
    Abby

    PS mommy said she has no where to sit where her feet touch the floor to try your relax method. She is quite short, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sticking my tongue out at you because you didn't bring me back a bison rib. I mean it is the least you could have done with all the riding about on the Jackalope you all did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come closer so I can clean your teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way that poor dog is starving, I'll bet she wants to clean my teeth!!

    ReplyDelete