"It is in the wild places, where the edge of the earth meets the corners of the sky, the human spirit is fed." Art Wolf


Wednesday, October 16, 2019

More Day Trips and Castles

Initially here, I was still working out of my base outside Inverness until I wasn't and the next day I started my drive towards the Aberdeen  area.

My last day trip was to the west coast to to the small sea port of Unapool. I enjoyed the sunshine.




I found the small harbor.




I walked around town for a few blocks. 




I returned to my last night on the farm and was met by the Labrador greeter and she introduced me to momma pig.



Baby pigs, too! 



Leaving the next day, demonstrating my increase driving confidence, I purposefully drove into Inverness to visit a used Book store.



The book store is in an old church and I did find some labeling of topics in certain sections but not well organized. This is a book store for just finding surprises.  The range of bird books made me think of several of my friends from the WomenRV Forum.   The UK love their birds.



From the book store visit I headed east towards Aberdeen with a plan to visit at least one castle depending upon travel time and distractions along the route.






My first castle stop was at Huntly Castle, chief seat of the Gordon Dynasty.   It is one of the magnificent ruins. The original section of the castle was first built in 1190's but out of timber and briefly used by King Robert the Bruce.  It was remodeled by the early 1600's by George Gordon to more closely resemble the palace that you see here.



As those of you that have read through some of these adventures have noticed, some of these castle had more luxury and did more entertaining than others.  Some castles and families had to do more defending.  





These were not the days of low carb diets.


The brew house.



The fancy decorations over the front door.








This is a small tower room at the top of the castle that was thought to have been a small library or sturdy with a small fireplace and wonderful views.  Yes, I liked this room. In my mind I saw the tapestries and the fire...... 


One of the top floors missing its floor but who built that neat nest?




Many of the circular steps had been restored (and a rope added) enough for the tourists.



Observed in the kitchen - the top area is where the water was run into the castle by tile and the lower opening is where the dirty water was thrown out.  Gee, now all the castles in the neighborhood will want piped in water.



And we think that "crock pot" cooking is so convenient.




Leaving Huntly Castle, I still had enough time to swing past another castle, Fyvie Castle.  Unfortunately, or fortunately since I was already heavily castled out for the day, I was working off a "Castle Trail" pamphlet that may have been out of date, because the castle itself closed earlier that I thought and only the grounds remained available. Another saving grace of coming in October is that tourist season is winding down. Many sites are not open after the end of September or run on more limited days and or hours. 

I have enjoyed touring several of the castles that are still or have been restored with the old tapestries and dining rooms and libraries but the empty half standing ruins have a great deal of appeal in there own way.  All the these great houses have several things in common: they served families over centuries and most found themselves re imagined over time.




This castle has had 5 successive families in its 800 years. Each family added a tower to make it their own.  My feet didn't mind walking around the ground but were happy not to have climbed any of the stairs this time.









Entrance into he gardens




Several fruit trees had been trimmed and trained to grow flat against the wall of the garden. 





These daisies were popular with butterflies and bees.




The castle lake bordering the lane out.





This was my first B&B that felt more line a small Inn or Hotel.  It had a pub on the ground floor but not a pub with food but just a room of neighborhood drinkers or I guess tired tourist.



This location was also one that had food choices within walking distance around the corner.



Tomorrow is my Tuesday travel day and more site seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment